Lightyear - Teaser Talk


The Batman's trailer was spectacular, and I've watched it way too many times to count. The upcoming Pixar film 'Lightyear's' teaser just released, and for some odd reason, I'm excited? 

We're in an age where nearly every animated movie is 3D Animated. And although I love the animation in these films, they don't always manage to surprise me, because I've seen it before. Year by year, the 3D animated characters look more and more real. My personal favourite animated film 'Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse', was a great example of breaking away from this. 

The animation of Spider-verse embraced it's unrealism. It embraced it's comic booky-ness and, and blended 2D and 3D animation in such a way that it added to the style of the film. Not everything was smooth and perfect looking. Instead, there were intentional imperfections that improved the look of the film, and is something I find fascinating. 


Pixar Studios is probably my favourite film studio, and their work always intrigues me. Like every film studio, it definitely has it's misses. But I love most of their films, and admire mostly all of them. I know that the people working behind the film always put their level best, and it's honestly something I look up to. 

The Toy Story movies are some of my favourite movies. The fourth one is the weakest one in the quadrilogy, despite me liking it. But I love all the characters and their journeys. So a Buzz Lightyear movie could sound like a definite cash grab, but somehow, in some way, I'm really hyped for it. 

The most exciting part about this movie is it's pitch. In the Toy Story movies, Buzz Lightyear is a toy, who at first believes he's an actual space ranger. Buzz's 'character' as a toy is that of a spaceman who fights bad guys and saves the day. And the 'character' of Buzz from the 'Toy Story films', who initially believes he's that spaceman, realises he's just a toy, and that plays an important part in his character arc. 


The pitch of 'Lightyear' isn't just some Buzz Lightyear spin-off, but it's, "What if Buzz's lore as a spaceman was an actual movie?", which is something I find spellbinding. In this film, there is no Woody and gang from the previous Toy Story films. It's just Buzz being an actual spaceman, as we follow his adventures throughout galaxies. 

This pitch also causes the character design to be different than the Toy Story movies. Since Buzz is just a toy in those movies, his space suit is his skin. But here, we get to see Buzz in flesh and blood as an actual human being, WITH HAIR!! Buzz's eyes are also much more smaller compared to his manufactured counterpart, along with his spacesuit, which here, looks much more meticulous and detailed because it's actually built to function in space, and not just a toy for children to play with. 



I believe Chris Evans will do a good job voicing the space ranger. I sure do hope that along with the fantabulous animation, the story will be a well written one. I hope the screenplay is something worthy of the character of "Buzz Lightyear", and I hope we get to learn more about him as a character. The pitch of the film is unique and has me hooked. 

I believe in Pixar, and in their ability to tell masterful stories that will stay with us to infinity and beyond.


 Thank Your for Reading

I hope you liked this blog review, please make sure to comment about your thoughts on the film, or on how I could possibly improve. Also follow my YouTube Channel "Detox with P-Talks Official" where I analyse movies and do other movie related content along with short films, etc.






Comments

Popular Posts