2018 Films I saw in theatres Ranked





Venom - On thinking about this film now, it's obviously bad. But thinking about my theatrical experience, I actually enjoyed it. The writing, character motivation and plot are weak. But this is one of those few films that fall under the category of "so bad it's good." Tom Hardy's having a lot of fun, and I like the special effects. The villain is forgettable, and the love interest is pointless. But Eddie's and Venom's relationship was enough for me to not hate it. 



Incredibles 2 - Despite this film getting a lot of love, I think it's a disappointment, especially because it's predecessor is one of the best animated films. I could look at this film as it's own individual thing, but it's nearly impossible for me, because this film's a direct continuation of the first 'Incredibles.' The animation is easily fabulous, but the character's arcs are forgotten, and they go through the same internal journey, that they went through in the previous film. But I loved it when I saw it in theatres, and it was most certainly entertaining. 



2.0 - I know many people dislike this film, and I know it's flawed. But I still love it for it's sheer audacity. Speaking on my current thoughts, I like it. But the first act is too slow, and the message of the film is way too "on the nose." Some of the scientific aspects about it, is surely ridiculous. But I still remember entering the theatre, and being completely immersed, watching a big action spectacle Indian film, with such an admirable creative vision, that I could not dislike it. The special effects was fantastic, and I loved the final battle. I mean, hundreds of Rajinikanths vs Akshay kumar made of phones. What's not to love? 



Solo: A Star Wars Story - This is a pretty enjoyable film. The cast is stellar, the special effects is well done, and since it's Star Wars, the practical effects too were great. The introduction of many characters we had seen in earlier films were nice. The action scenes were thrilling, and the character dynamics were one of the most fun aspects about it. The plot twists were well executed, and Paul Bettany (although a one dimensional villain) gave an intimidating performance as the antagonist. It's flawed for sure, but an entertaining time. The theatrical experience was interesting, because there were only 2 other people in the cinema hall other than me. 



Avengers: Infinity War - This was an experience to remember. I watched this film with my classmates, and that is a great film to watch with people. The Russo brothers balance many characters brilliantly, and making Thanos the protagonist achieving his goal, even though he's the "bad guy" was a genius move. The action scenes are marvellous as the characters use their power sets in unique ways. It has minor flaws, such as some bland cinematography, and little dodgy effects at times. Thanos looked extremely real, but the writing made him 'feel' real. A great time in the theatre, and a great film. 



Black Panther - This is a great film! MCU's best so far. The special effects is fantastic (sometimes not) and the screenplay is near perfection. Wakanda's world building was well done, and the characters are phenomenal. Character's have their set of beliefs and flaws, and Killmonger is one of the best villains I've seen who challenges T'Challa's mindset. Characters change internally, and it explores a mature theme, in a nuanced and entertaining way. Entertaining? Definitely. Makes you think about the functioning of the world? Also definitely. I love this film!



Spiderman: into the Spider-verse - This is my favourite animated film of all time. One of the best theatrical experience I ever had. Sony making a Spiderman film was a questionable choice, and I was worried that it'd be bad. The trailer caught my interest, and I was excited for the film. But on watching the movie, I had a great time! The animation itself is the best I've seen. While many animated films try to loom realistic, Spiderverse does the exact opposite, and the comic book style is mesmerising. But the screenplay, characters, motivation and soundtrack are all perfect. Emotionally moving, and visually staggering. I wish I could watch this film for the first time again in theatres. 



Concluding statements - I know I watched only big blockbusters then, and I'll try to view more types of cinema in theatres from now on, whenever they will be open. But I really do miss the cinema hall, and I wrote this to reflect upon those cinematic experiences that I wish I could re-live now. 


Thank Your for Reading

I hope you liked this blog review, please make sure to comment about your thoughts on the film, or on how I could possibly improve. Also follow my YouTube Channel "Detox with P-Talks Official" where I analyse movies and do other movie related content along with short films, etc.

Comments

Popular Posts